Thursday, January 14, 2010

Spain

SPAIN!!!

We made it! Left and arrived in Spain on 14 December and took two buses to get to Palamos where the Next Wave ship is docked.


I´m going to get specific with names in this so here is a photo of our team with names:

Serena (Mexico), Will (England), Rafael (Brazil) Andy behind Rafa (England, leader), Camy (Switzerland), Roos (Netherlands), Abby (USA), Dan, Ashley (USA, leader).



The Next Wave


What an adventure...if you see it that way. It´s a sailing ship which is part of “Marine Reach Ministries." Dan and I have the only double bed on board which is pretty spacious considering how many people it sleeps. Once you get over the noise of ropes tightening as the ship bumps around in the wind, waves and swell, it can be a peaceful rest. It rocks most of the time (as I am typing I feel the computer and I swaying) which is perfect for me to sleep in. It only becomes restless when there is banging because the ship hits the dock - so scary. Once you get over the fear, you can rest easy and have confidence the ship won´t snap in two!


The toilets - oh my! The motto is "If it´s yellow let it mellow, if it´s brown flush it down"...or not cause they don´t always flush - I don´t know whether it´s by choice or because the pump doesn´t work so well. Makes it interesting when my work duty is toilets - somehow cleaning the toilets with...stuff...still in it defeats the purpose. Well, at least our butts are sitting on a seat that has been disinfected. I´ve some horror stories but will not share them (I´m getting better at being discrete), if you wish me to do so, please contact me in 9 weeks time...or not.

The showers - cold! The boiler is not working, therefore it is a matter of boiling water on the stove, adding cold water, then bucket showering - reminds me of bush trips, ahhh the memories. I won´t wash my hair until I get to Sicily, which will be two weeks. Tis only hair. The only problem is the shower I use is the same place where a toilet is...stewing. I air the room out before I go in, can´t hold my breath for that long.

Team Stuff
Most days we´ve been having team devotions. Reading through a couple of books in the Bible and discussing what has really spoken to us. We´re spiritually preparing for our time in Sicily.

It was Rafael´s birthday on the 19th and we decorated the Saloon (place where we eat) with pirate stuff, wore patches and bandanas. Andy took him out on the Little Wave (a smaller boat) and brought him back in with us making noise and calling out for Captain Barbosa (his surname and character from Pirates of the Carribean), saluting him. It was heapsa fun. Poor Rafa didn´t get it until we explained it sometime later.

Girona
We left for Girona after Rafa´s party on the 19th. We went and worked with a small church there. We went to a meeting that night where Will, Camy and Roos gave their testimonies.

On Saturday arvo we went and enteratined at an old people´s home. We sang some Christmas songs in English so they probably didn´t understand, then just said a few words to them and did the Spanish kiss thing where you start with the right cheek and made the kiss noise, then the left. It´s like the handshake of Australia - it´s personal, and nice really.

On Sunday we went to their service at 10am. We did our "Box" then I gave a testimony about trusting God, with Serena translating. Ashley spoke about Christmas, reflecting on Jesus´ humility and giving up all He knew to be with us here on earth. To experience life itself and then die for us. How great is His love!?
While in Girona we stayed at different people´s houses, oh the shower was awesome! Ashley, Roos and I stayed at Nancy´s. She was so funny and a great host. One morning we were eating breakfast and I was concerned about the time because we were running late. She said not to worry because people don´t arrive early, so we continued enjoying breaky. Then her brother came over and all of a sudden it was "vamos" (let´s go!). We didn´t get to finish our breaky, it was like "relax...relax...go!" So funny...had to be there.

Will, Dan and I got invited to go to a small church plant in Cadaques Sunday night. It is such a beautiful place. To get there you wind through the mountains, I got a bit sick because it was a low car as well as the windy mountains. There were about 8 or 9 of them and it was so good. Will and I said a few words about what are experience had been in Spain thus far and Dan spoke on how Jesus started His ministry at the age of 30. They had a Christmas dinner and I thought I was eating some kind of seafood...no, it was cow stomach, it was tasty, the texture was a little strange.

By the end of the weekend, I was sooo tired. It was the language more than anything because I wanted to learn some Espanol at the same time. I can only imagine what it was like for Rafa and Serena as they translated the whole weekend. Abby and Ashley speak some, Camy can understand but the rest of us – nil´ish.

Christmas

We celebrated by having a big feed on Christmas Eve. So good. Then Christmas morning I was up at 4am calling the family (9 hours difference, ouch) - anything for my family mob - LOVE YOU!

We had brunch at 11am and then pressie opening after. We had a Secret Santa (which I got myself, hmpf). Then went to the beach with Serena and Ashley and we took photos of each other, I got a bit artistic and had some fun. The weather was awesome, really blessed.

Other

The other night we were in the cafe here and we skyped our other two teams, it was sooo awesome to see them again. There is an Equador and France team. They were in London over Christmas having a party with the homeless, serving and loving them.

So, I think I told you I was praying for snow before we left for outreach. Well, Andy skyped his mum back at the Oval (Harpenden) and it was covered in snow! I found out that 2 days after we left - it snowed! Couldn´t believe it...I almost cried, seriously. Missed it by two days, timing huh? I guess the only thing to do is be glad for those enjoying it... :oI

So, that´s about all I have to say. I am going to post photos on Facebook, which there are a lot of.

Love you all.
Lizzie Mc

25 December 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment