Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Athens, Greece – 10 to 21/04/10

Still in Euro-land

We made it! We did an overnight in Catania and after checking a couple of websites it was confirmed we were flying to Rome. We are blessed to not have been affected by the ash. Worst case we would have found a way to get to Istanbul and skip Athens. Dan managed to find out that our umbrella was found and they were sending it back to Australia – too kind. He really misses it though we don’t need it…yet.

So, we enter a country where we cannot read the language. Dan spent some time on the train figuring out the characters of some letters on the train into Acropoli where we were staying but it’s such a different style and pronunciation. I miss Italy – at least I could speak it, even if I wasn’t waving my hands all over and “singing” it.

I have come to the conclusion that Athens is “slippery city.” I don’t know why, maybe the marble or type of rock they use but you kinda slip anywhere and everywhere, especially climbing around the hill by the Acropolis. Some streets are slippery too.

We didn’t do too much around Athens and after we’d left I kinda regretted going – except that it taught me that “quick trips” really ain’t worth it. I wanted originally to go to Corinth but we changed dates to spend more time in Istanbul so I didn’t want to do too much and be knackered. I need chillout time in each place to catch up on and process all kinda of thoughts. Being a thinker is pretty draining.

We had a Greek salad, mousakka and the BEST tzatziki ever! We went for walks around the place, skyped the folks, went to a quiz night at the hostel and just generally chilled.

That is all…

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment